Skip to main content

The Rockstar Auto-Driver Who Gave Up His Passion To Support His Family


Story is from the blog of Kunj Karia

I was returning from guitar classes. I took an auto, back home. On the way, the auto-driver asked me how long has it been since I started learning to play the instrument. I told him it was my 2nd session that day. 5 minutes in the conversation I understood he knows a lot about guitar. I knew there was a story behind it and I wanted to know that story. So I asked…

PS: The whole conversation happened in Hindi

Me: Sir how do you know so much about guitar?
He: *chuckles* I was a professional guitarist. I used to play with a group of friends, at small restaurants and bars. We used to perform on streets also. All that was 10 years back.
Me: Then why did you stop playing?
He: Money wasn’t good for musicians back then. Also, there was no assurance of a gig on daily basis. I was married and I needed something which assured my family food, at least twice a day.
Me: Hmm.. tell me more about your friends, the group of friends with whom you played, a bit?
He: We started playing when we were around your age. They used to go to college, I couldn’t since I was working at a factory during day time. Every evening we used to meet, play our favorite songs and perform at some bars if we could get in. Good times, those.
(We reached the place where I was going to get down)
Me: It was good talking to you, uncle.
He: You mind if I play something on your guitar? It’s been long since I played one.
(I could see how eager he was to play the guitar)
Me: Sure! I’d love to listen to you.

He started playing the background score from Sholay.

Me: That was awesome! Even after almost 10 years you have a good command on the instrument. How do you feel?
He: I feel I should buy a guitar soon. My son learns and plays on his friends’ instrument.
Me: That’s great. I hope I learn well.
He: You will. It’s not easy but promise me you'll not give up for at least a year.
Me: Yes, I won’t.
He: Don’t give up on guitar for a year and guitar won't give up on you ever then. (Actual words: Beta tum guitar ko ek saal mat chhodo, guitar tumko zindagy bhar nahi chhodega)

We can't even comprehend how much, in how short period of time, can someone can touch our lives and inspire us!

– Kunj Karia

video - 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutcase Couple Hang From Cliff 2700ft Above Rio

While most people get a little bit worried about heights when climbing up a ladder, Leonardo Edson Pereira, 23, and his girlfriend Victoria Medeiros Nader, 18, are very different. In fact, after seeing images of the couple hanging off a 2,700 ft cliff in Rio, Brazil, it’s safe to say the couple pretty much break the mould when it comes to heights and being daredevils. Pereira took his girlfriend with him on his latest thrill seeking adventure, with Pedra de Gavea their conquest this time. The images really are breathtaking and depict just one of the many times Pereira has climbed the Pedra de Gavea. He claimed: "I love living on the edge! I know people think it’s dangerous and crazy but it makes me feel alive,’ Leonardo says. It is really high and I do just hang on using my arm strength. I have to trust myself not to fall." The literal translation of the rock’s name means ‘Rock of the Topsail’, and while the images certainly are something, given ...

EARTH FACTS

Earth is the third planet from the Sun and is the largest of the terrestrial planets. The Earth is the only planet in our solar system not to be named after a Greek or Roman deity. The Earth was formed approximately 4.54 billion years ago and is the only known planet to support life. Planet Profile Mass: 5,972,190,000,000,000 billion kg Equatorial Diameter: 12,756 km Polar Diameter: 12,714 km Equatorial Circumference: 40,030 km Known Moons: 1 Notable Moons: The Moon Orbit Distance: 149,598,262 km (1 AU) Orbit Period: 365.26 Earth days Surface Temperature: -88 to 58°C Size Of The Earth Compared To The Moon Facts About The Earth The Earth’s rotation is gradually slowing: This deceleration is happening almost imperceptibly, at approximately 17 milliseconds per hundred years, although the rate at which it occurs is not perfectly uniform. This has the effect of lengthening our days, but it happens so slowly that it could be as much as 140 million years before the l...

10 Unique Facts About Oceans That You Didn’t Know

Ocean makes up 70% of the earth and still we are unaware about some unique facts about ocean. We have found ocean is a mysterious place which is not explored completely till now, so many of the questions are unanswered. Let’s brush up some knowledge about Earth’s Ocean. 1. Fifty percent of United States lies below the ocean. ( on a rough count) 2. Sunlight does not reach the ocean beds; hence most of the ocean are dark, black and chilled out. 3. If you travel through waterways, it will take 1000 years to take a globe tour. 4. Pacific ocean alone contains largest islands which covers 30% of earth’s surface 5. About 75 percent of oxygen comes from ocean and is produced by a microscopic animal called phytoplankton 6. Till now only three lakh under water species are identified out of a total of 3 million species.                                           ...